Friday, June 29, 2018

Germinating Baobabs

I came onto some baobab seeds recently.  They've been sitting around my work area at the house just staring back at me.  Then I got the inkling to see how these seeds could be germinated.  Youtube had a video with instructions on how to germinate them within 5 days.  5 days is a lot shorter than the natural methods - where the seeds may actually never germinate.  I figured I had nothing to lose so this past Sunday I broke out the Dremel and got started.  I ground off a small part of the seed cover.  These get soaked in water for a couple of days.


Here are the seeds after almost three days of soaking in water.  They've swelled up quite a bit from their original size.


Last night I peeled the seed hull away from the inner seed and now four of the five seeds are sitting in a container sandwiched between two wet paper towels.  I got pretty aggressive on one so that is why there are only four left.






Maybe by this Sunday I should be able to plant them in a pot of soil.  Talk about a major difference in timing...

No comments:

Post a Comment