Thursday, October 20, 2016

Newest Batch of Pots Back from the Kiln

I went to the ceramics studio yesterday after work to drop off some more pots. And what do you know - the latest glaze firing is all finished!!! I had several pieces in this firing and I have to say the reduction was fantastic!!! I am more than pleased with this latest batch. This pot is glazed in "Buttery Yellow" I love how the yellow ran into channels. The other pieces I've seen glazed with Buttery Yellow had a more even finish - I'm going to have to use this glaze more often. This pot was glazed with "Red 25" - I tried to capture the very fine running that occurred - this red doesn't come out this vibrant unless the reduction process is well executed! This pot was dipped "Cranberry" This pot was first dipped in "Albany Black" to coat the bottom, and then the top was dipped in "Carbon Trap Shino". Another dipped in "Cranberry" - this one did get more of the violet (red and blue) to show than the first one. This is perhaps one of the most variable glazes I have used so far. Add just to show that I am making other things besides succulent pots, here is a tea cup I threw on the wheel. The glaze is a base dip of "Tenmoku" with a small dip of "Toshiko Orange" for the runny topping. And the second to the last one (the last one I'm saving for another post) I got from this kiln run is another cup. This one was dipped in "Turq". The other pieces I've seen with this glaze came out brownish-green - not this one!!! Bright turquoise on a gray-green background!

No comments:

Post a Comment