Friday, September 16, 2016

More Pottery - Hand Built and Wheel Thrown

These two are pinched from blocks of Soldate 60 and are a high tight oval. I really dig the small feet. When I'm shaping pots for succulents, I can't help but imagine what a plant would look like if it were able to get up and move to a place that suited it. It would still need to keep it's roots in soil and have some water in said soil - but if it didn't like the quality of sunlight it was getting, it could hold on to the pot, stand up on stubby legs and get to where it wants to go. Think turtle or snail - house in tow. They don't need to move fast, they just need to adjust. Anyways - that's the deign path I've been on recently. I also made a similar one to these using slab building in the class I'm taking. I used Rod's Bod clay for that (trying to spread my wings on the different types of clays out there - for now I've noticed Rod's Bod is a lot stiffer and seems to have a much longer working time compared to Soldate 60). And I've also been taking the pottery wheel class again. I'm getting used to the process and developing a better understanding of the muscle motions (developing my muscle memory) to produce usable pieces. I've got several mugs (trimmed cylinders) in the bisque and glaze firing ques, and I ended up making these two bowls during the last class. As I get better at throwing larger pots, I'll eventually get all our succulents transplanted over. Should be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment