Friday, May 19, 2017

Amorphophallus konjac re-emerging

I was beginning to think this plant had died at the end of last fall and all I had left was a pot full of quick drain plant media. But my bad experience with the Euphorbia hedyotoides (I thought that was dead too and cut it above the main stem - only to find it was still full of fluid - Noe is trying to get it to root right now but that experience taught me to just be patient - if the plant is dead, nothing is going to change anyways) caused me to just leave the pot alone. Well it paid off! Here is the plant (in its vegetative state) re-emerging -

 

 I actually saw the spike punching through earlier this week, but I only took a picture yesterday. When I received it late last year, it was a crown of leaves, a few root clusters and a stalk to connect the two ends - NO CORM. When the leaves and stalk collapsed last year, I thought that was it - plant dead - largely because I did not see a corm or thought there was time enough for one to develop. Digging this up last year or early this year may have shown other wise, but still gun shy from the E hedyotoides, I figured just wait and see. So having seen when the leaves drop and return, I may uncover the corm (because there has to be one) and repot it then. We'll see, but for now we get to watch another type of plant grow and develop!

No comments:

Post a Comment