Friday, June 23, 2017

Amorphophallus bulbifer

La was at the Lyon Arboretum and saw they had an Amorphophallus plant for sale. She knew I had one and decided I should have another ;)

 

 The plant had a tag and it identified it as an Amorphophallus bulbifer. The one I already had is an Amorphophallus konjac.

 

 I did a little research on this species and the growth in the middle of the plant where the leaves branch off has a growth that may be a new plant (a third means of reproducing in addition to new shoots and seeds) - I'll have to look into this a little more.... And it also has a secondary shoot emerging already (I just noticed the same on the konjac).

 

 It is almost double the height of the konjac and the camouflage is also different than the konjac. As I was repotting this plant, I tried looking to see what the tuber/corm looked like, but I could not find one. Based on that I am assuming this is a really young plant - no more than a year old or so.

 

 These are some really funky plants!!!! It's going to be fun watching these grow through their different cycles!

No comments:

Post a Comment