Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Gymnocalycium mihanovichii Still Flowering

This was my Gymnocalycium mihanovichii. The first year I had it, the spot it occupied was saturated with heavy direct afternoon sunlight. My thinking was "it's a cactus - it needs as much direct sun as it can get". Then it flattened out - literally collapsing on itself. That didn't seem right and then I researched the normal growing conditions - it likes to grow under brush, cover from other plants, or anything else that will give is some shelter from total direct sun. I moved a bunch of plants around after that and now they are all more content.

 

 I'd say the biggest example of that is this plant is still pushing out flowers (and staying inflated with the correct internal hydro-static pressure).

No comments:

Post a Comment