Monday, August 8, 2016

2016-08-07 Pottery

It was way too hot and humid to work in the garden yesterday afternoon, so the kids and I worked on some new pottery. Lately I've been working on tiny pots so I though I would try making some slightly larger ones. This first one was made with about 230 grams for Soldate clay. Pinch pot with feet added on once the clay had dried for about an hour. I don't normally notice them while I am working the clay, but in this series of pictures you can see the iron flecks pretty easily. For this pot, I added a convex bump with my thumb while I was smoothing the outer surface. It kind of just happened and I just went with it. I'm not sure how large you can go on a pinch pot before you start losing structural integrity and need to make the shift to coil building. I'll try a few more to push the limit and see what can be done. I'm thinking there is no limit (but I'll ask my instructors when my classes start up again). This second one is slightly smaller at just under 200 grams. Again Soldate clay, pinched body with feet added on and integrated by a fair amount of scraping and blending after the body had a chance to stiffen up a bit. This one has a flat bottom. The third pot I made was another flower vase for my wife. I've made a few flower cutting vases for her - all of them on the really small side of the size scale. She likes them with unusual characteristics so they are challenging and fun to make. I tend to make one with every batch.

No comments:

Post a Comment