Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Cotyledon sinus alexander

This is another of the plants I got in my order from www.succulent.us - the Cotyledon sinus alexander. This specimen arrived in good condition with only a few leaves knocked loose from the shipping transit. It is the second specimen I have (I ordered another one a few months back). The first one had a rougher ride and lost a higher percentage of its leaves. I did manage to prune it and plant the cuttings and fallen leaves. Those are now sending out new leaves. I've been challenged by this species trying to find the right combination of light, watering and planting media. The plants have all stabilized, but are not piling on the growth. I know I've only had this first one for a few months and keep telling myself the plants are expending their energy on developing roots, and I also figure it has a preferred growing season - but I haven't figured those things out just yet. The new bunch I just received has a tighter growth bundle and has several new shoots. I'm hoping to track the growth of this one and see if I can apply any lessons learned to the older one(s). I planted this new bunch in a more diversified soil mix, focused on faster drainage (Black Gold cactus Mix, lots of black cinder, and some turface and/or granite grit mixed in - 45-45-10 percentage wise). Country of Origin: Africa (I believe South Africa); Substrate: Cotyledons usually grow in rocky quartz fields where they have excellent drainage provided by very porous soil. Best in porous soil with adequate drainage; Watering: Water thoroughly when soil is dry to the touch. Water with caution in winter, as the plant can lose its roots if the soil stays cold and wet for extended periods; Temperature: Winter temperatures must be kept over 50° F; Lighting: Bright light (I read this to be "bright shade"); Ventilation: Good air movement; Other Notes: Summer dormancy (see - I knew there was a reason for the slow growth) (Care information taken from www.succulent.us)

No comments:

Post a Comment