Monday, November 14, 2016

Notocactus haselbergii

I have been pretty good about not picking up too many plants lately, but every now and then I bump into some that are either very nice specimens - or plants that I haven't seen before and have some unique feature. I bumped into a couple of these during my last run to Lowe's in Iwilei. This first one had some long spines that I haven't seen on a Notocactus before. I used a new component in the soil mix for these recent purchases. In addition to the granite grit, vermiculite and high drainage soil mix, I also added several handfuls of "dry stall". I didn't take a close look, but I think the "dry stall" is a form of pumice. It is called Dry Stall because that is what it is supposed to deliver. Mixed in with straw, it is supposed to help extend the life of horse bedding. Not being a horse person I did not realize that. I'll post some pictures in a few months to see if this cacti fared better or worse with the dry stall addition.

No comments:

Post a Comment