Saturday, November 26, 2016

Visit to Kunia Nursery and a Three-Way Cock Fight

We ventured out of the house today to make a trip up North. First stop was Kunia Nursery. This plant gets a bunch of sun all year round and they usually have some vigorous tropicals (that La favors). They also have a large selection of succulents - you just have to look in the nooks and crannies. Here is one of their Agave attenuata. Noe noticed every Aedium obessum on the property. There was another that I didn't take a picture of - its caudex was pretty rotund. Marlon was the same with the Jade Plants - anytime one was in the area, he noticed them. Funny how we tend to gravitate to the things we normally like. A week ago I found a sprout of what I believe to be a sea grape while checking the surf. I was able to grab it and repotted it in the garden. This is what I think the plant will grow into. I'll check tomorrow when I go surfing again. And when I first saw this plant, it set me off on a mission to find one that was smaller. This Euphorbia punicea (Jamaican Poinsetta) entranced me then and the "shaka" leaf pattern and red flowers are still a favorite when we come up here. I'll post a picture of mine, but it hasn't flowered like this yet. And here are several other pictures - Always a fun place to visit! We also continued on to the North Shore to eat some gelato and drink some coffee. The North Shore Marketplace has several of these air sculptures for sale - And this place always has chickens running around - But today was special because we witnessed a three-way rooster battle!!! We came on to a full fledged cock fight and stopped the van to watch - then a third rooster saw the fighting and bolted for a piece of the action - all three continued to beat the crap out of each other only stopping to catch their breath. We finished trip off with a surf check at Puena Point and mahi sandwiches at Kua Aina (Kapolei). What a great day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment