Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Pollinating the Brighamia insignis

Knowing I had a bunch of flowers coming from my two Brighamia insignis, I decided to do a little research on how to pollinate the flowers. Originally (as you can see in the pictures I took recently prior to this post), when the flowers first bloom there is no sign of the stamen or the stigma. These pictures were taken a couple of weeks ago. Well having focus on the subject, I read several articles and they indicate that a couple of days after the initial bloom, the pollen will stack up, and a coupe of days after that the stigma will be receptive to receiving pollen. Well when I got home today, I had seen something I've not seen before with these two plants - pollen and a visible stigma. I had also thought that pollinating these plants would involve using some really thin probe as the flowers have really long, narrow throats. Well - after reading and observing, I now know that is the furthest thing from reality. Hopefully I'll get some fruits and seeds from this grouping of flowers!

No comments:

Post a Comment